Fluoride is a mineral that is actively involved in caries prevention. This is naturally seen occurring in a variety of foods and has been used for ages in preventive dentistry.
Fluoride treatment has been popularly used in family and cosmetic dentistry in Leesburg, VA, to keep tooth decay at bay!
Fluoride treatment explained
Fluoride treatment is a common dental procedure that is performed as a preventive measure in patients with a high risk of dental caries. It involves the application of a high concentration of fluoride to your teeth that seeps deeper into the tooth structure, forming a protective coating. This coating prevents plaque accumulation and bacterial infiltration that keeps dental problems away. Furthermore, fluoride makes your enamel acid-resistant by promoting remineralization of the tooth.
Fluoride works in two ways:
Topical (applied superficially) fluoride
- Topical fluoride prevents decay in the newly erupted teeth.
- This is delivered through fluoridated toothpaste, mouth rinse, and gels.
- Dentists recommend topical fluoride treatment for children at least twice a year during routine dental checkups.
Systemic (ingested) fluoride
- This mode of fluoride delivery can strengthen the erupted teeth as well as the ones that are still developing under the gums.
- This is administered through regular community water supply or in the form of tablets.
- Care should be taken to discuss the dose with your dentist to prevent fluorosis (excess fluoride levels that cause white spots or stains on your teeth).
Indications of fluoride treatment
Fluoride treatment is indicated for the following reasons:
- Deep pits and fissures on the chewing surfaces of the teeth
- Exposed and sensitive root surfaces
- Fair to poor oral hygiene
- Frequent sugar and carbohydrate intake
- Inadequate exposure to fluorides
- Xerostomia, a condition caused by low saliva content leading to dry mouth
- Recent history of dental decay
Benefits of fluoride treatment
Fluoride treatment is a preferred preventive measure due to the following benefits:
- Versatile application since it can be used for children and adults
- Effectively prevents tooth decay
- Halts or arrests existing caries
- Cost-effective procedure
- Avoids the necessity for expensive dental work
- Prevents premature exfoliation of teeth
Dentists harness the power and ability of fluorides to strengthen your tooth enamel and reduce the risk of caries. However, this alone cannot prevent tooth decay. Ensure to brush and floss your teeth twice daily, eat balanced meals, minimize sugary snacks, and visit your dentist regularly. Good oral health is essential for your overall health and wellness. A healthy mouth paves the way for a healthy body, mind, and soul.